Since 2012 we have aimed at advancing the causes of, and fundraising for certain charities, charitable efforts by people, promote Southern Africa as tourist destination, African art, literature and culture and upliftment of
the less fortunate. It started off as a once-off inititaitive to participate in an annual rally through Southern Africa in aid of tourism and charity. We extended our efforts into 2013 and 2014 and onwards.
All the upliftment
projects Wachizungu supporters have been involved in have been funded by individuals themselves and no tax benefits have ever been claimed against these. As a result many people have had their lives improved in small ways. Wachizungu has never received donations
for itself. In fact, it has always operated at a loss. The website and its stated intent speaks for itself. It requires its supporters to fund themselves and their activities and has never relied on any donation for any of its own activities. Wachizungu supported
various other independent registered charities in Southern Africa and elsewhere in the world as a fundraiser.
Among our activities we advanced the charities and the causes they represent. This is because the values and causes
are believed to be congruent to the values that Wachizungu intended to advance.
GivenGain.com is a reputable , well-established and worldwide known charity that provides fundraisers and charities online solutions to receive
donations and raise funds for charitable causes. Wachizungu made use of this platform in the same manner as thousands of other “activists” and “fundraisers.”
- The process to register with GivenGain.com
as "cause" requires vetting and verification.
- The process to register as “activist” on GivenGain.com is an entirely different process to that of registering as a “cause.”
registered as "activist" and not as "cause" on GivenGain.com
- This means we did not and have never received donations for ourself but advanced other "causes" and raised funds for those “causes.”
- When donations were made online, such donations went directly to those "causes."
- Wachizungu is not and has never been a registered "cause" on GivenGain.com but an "activist." See: https://www.givengain.com/activist/85940/
- "Activists" can register "projects" in support of "causes" on www.GivenGain.com
- There are literally thousands such activists registered worldwide
on www.GivenGain.com in support of various "causes."
- Wachizungu registered several" projects" in support of "causes" as an “activist.”
- The projects all had lifespans. In other
words, a particular period within which the "project" runs to fundraise for a particular supported "cause."
- See the Wachizungu projects here: http://www.givengain.com/activist/85940/projects/
- Wachizungu then made available online links to donate to those specific registered "causes" on its public website at www.wachizungu.com
- Go to the
link “Donate safely online”. If you click on the links you would be taken directly to the GivenGain.com platform or Paypal.com whichever the relevant charity is utilizing.
- When any donations were made the funds
went directly to that "cause" and GivenGain.com pays such moneys into the bank account of that particular "cause" directly. The money did not come to Wachizungu in any way or form.
- None of the supporters or directors of Wachizungu
have or had any interests (materially or otherwise, direct ly or indirectly) in any of the charities (causes) we supported. Nor have any received any benefits in any way or form.
- Each such donation on GivenGain.com is reflected
under each "project" showing the date, name of donor and amount donated. Each "project" very clearly states which "cause" is the beneficiary of the donation. Wachizungu has never and will never reflect as a beneficiary of such donations.
- See as example, and then you can look at each "project" to see who donated and when and how much here: http://www.givengain.com/activist/85940/projects/3930/ and donations to that "cause" reflected here: http://www.givengain.com/activist/85940/projects/3930/#extras
- In some cases, people felt uncomfortable (or had others reasons) to donate directly online for various reasons or in some cases people gave cash donations to the "causes" supported. In such cases Wachizungu assisted them and allowed
for payments to be made into the Wachizungu bank account after which they were directly paid over to the designated "cause" as identified by the donor online by Wachizungu on their behalf. Wachizungu supporters bore the transaction costs, bank fees and other
- Wachizungu has never used donations intended for other charities to fund certain travels through Southern Africa on organized rallies.
- Wachizungu has never received any donation
and consequently never issued Section 18A tax certificates.
On what was reflected as the so-called "donors rolls" on the old website, each charity was reflected and had its own "donors roll" reflecting names, dates and
very clearly identified which charity benefited from which donation. Such donations were also acknowledged on the Facebook and Twitter pages and clearly stipulated which charity was the beneficiary charity without fail. Whenever such a donation was made on
behalf of a donor, this was acknowledged and reflected as such on Facebook and Twitter. These transactions in any event verifiable on www.GivenGain.com in and all of this is publicly available. The "donors rolls" never reflected any donations to Wachizungu.
These "donor rolls" were publicly displayed for purposes of transparency and were open to see by anyone on its public website.